Make Universal School Meals Permanent
Every student should have access to the same things while at school, whether it’s educational opportunities or food.
Right now, not every student has access to school breakfast and lunch, and all students need good nutrition to learn well.
When schools switch to universal school meals, the social climate in the cafeteria and the entire school shifts as differences in family income become less visible, students are more ready to learn, and school administrators report more positive relationships with students’ families.
The Alliance supports Hunger Free Vermont’s efforts to ensure that every student can eat at school every day by requiring all public schools in Vermont to provide universal school meals as part of a student’s education by 2026, and by providing state funding to supplement the federal funding all schools receive.
LEAD ORGANIZATION: Hunger Free Vermont
- Universal School Meals improve student performance in math and English Language Arts by up to 10 weeks of learning.
- 72% of staff at Vermont schools with universal school meal programs agree that universal school meals have produced an increased social climate.
- 64% of Vermont schools currently providing school meals have increased their local food purchasing as a result.
Resources and Advocacy Tools
- Join the Universal School Meals campaign and sign up for email updates
- Sign a Universal School Meals Supporter Card