Legislative Agenda Setting Process
The Alliance’s annual Legislative Agenda is crafted in partnership with early childhood organizations that are advancing policy solutions through the legislative process.
The Alliance Steering Committee invites proposals by organizations for consideration during the Alliance’s Agenda-setting process. Issues that are selected will make up the 2021 Legislative Agenda. The proposing organization will be established as the “lead” on legislative and advocacy strategy. See below for the process timeline and application scoring system.
Click below to download the application documents
- 2021 Application (PDF)
- 2021 Application Template (Word)
- 2020 Legislative Agenda
- Description of a Lead Organization
- Description of Issue Working Groups and the Policy/Advocacy Committee
The deadline for submissions is Monday, November 16 at 12:00 pm by email to email@example.com.
Are you interested in applying, but don’t know where to start? The Alliance will host open office hours to answer questions about the Agenda-setting process and support applicants in completing the Legislative Agenda application. You can register for one of these session here.
Alliance staff and Steering Committee members are available to help you and your organization answer the questions below. Our process is intended to gather information, not present challenges.
If you would prefer to submit this application verbally or through an alternative format, we would be happy to accommodate.
For assistance, contact Matt Levin, Alliance Executive Director, at 802-229-4281 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mid October – application process opens
- November 16 at 12:00 pm – deadline for applications to be submitted
- December 2 – Alliance Steering Committee meets to consider applications
- Early January – Alliance releases outline version of 2021 Legislative Agenda
- Mid January – Alliance Steering Committee approves final version of 2021 Legislative Agenda
- Late January – Alliance publishes and distributes the Agenda to legislators and administrators
Application Scoring System
- Issue/initiative alignment with the Alliance’s mission statement and issue areas – 20 pts.
- Commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion – 10 pts.
- Benefit for Vermont children and families – 20 pts.
- Background information on policy and legislative process provided – 10 pts.
- Internal resources available (staff, volunteers, activities, etc.) – 15 pts.
- Status of legislative consideration of the issue – 10 pts.
- Collaboration with other organizations, legislators, and/or the Administration – 15 pts.