Vermonters Feeding Vermonters:
Fund Fresh, Local Food for People Facing Hunger
Access to healthy, fresh food during early childhood is critical for healthy physical and social development. With 18,700 Vermont children facing food insecurity, the state needs a creative solution to ensure that Vermont’s bounty of local, fresh food makes it onto the plates of those who need it most. The Alliance supports the Vermont Foodbank’s request for a $500,000 state allocation to fund Vermonters Feeding Vermonters, a program to purchase locally grown, fresh produce directly from Vermont farmers to distribute to people struggling with hunger.
Data and Talking Points
- This innovative new program provides people in Vermont facing hunger with healthy, local food while supporting the state’s agricultural economy, an integral component of the Vermont way of life.
- 1 in 4 people in Vermont turn to the Vermont Foodbank for help each year and it is our fundamental belief that everyone in Vermont deserves access to the fresh, local food that our state has in such abundance.
- Vermonters Feeding Vermonters has direct benefits for the families receiving the food and also for the state of Vermont. Specifically, families see better health outcomes when they have access to and eat fresh, local produce. Farmers have more financial security when they have contracts ahead of time to purchase large quantities of their produce.
- 25% of Vermonters Feeding Vermonters recipients reported increased vegetable consumption.
- 100% of participating growers reported improved financial gains.
- Our economy benefits when we keep our food dollars in-state, rather than purchasing food elsewhere. $1 spent on local produce contributes an additional 60 cents to the local economy.
- Our environmental footprint is reduced because the food is sourced and served locally. Produce is delivered within a 50 mile radius of where it is grown.
- Complete this quick supporter form to tell your legislator that you want our neighbors facing hunger to have access to local, fresh food.
- To show support for VFV from your organization, scroll to the bottom of the page to add your name to the organization sign on letter.
- Sign up for campaign updates from the Vermont Foodbank.