Create a Statewide Family and Medical Leave Insurance Program
Nearly every working Vermonter at some point will need to take time away from their job to care for or bond with a new child or to deal with a serious personal or family illness. A statewide paid family and personal medical leave insurance program will support the health, well-being, and economic security of Vermont’s children and families, and ensure that future generations thrive. The Alliance supports the VT Family and Medical Leave Insurance (FaMLI) Coalition in advocating for passage of a strong, universal, and inclusive bill in 2021.
Data and Talking Points
- 10 weeks of paid leave for new parents, on average, reduces infant mortality by up to 4.5%.
- Women who access paid leave programs tend to stay in the workforce.
- Ensuring family and medical leave for all working Vermonters will help support small businesses who cannot afford to offer paid leave on their own.
- Employers in states with paid family and medical leave report that paid leave has either no impact or positively impacts their business.
- To get involved, please contact Main St. Alliance’s Vermont State Director, Morgan Nichols, at email@example.com. You can also connect with Main Street Alliance on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Sign on to Voices for Vermont Children’s Paid Family & Medical Leave petition and share why access to paid, job-protected family and medical leave is important to you!
- Share your story highlighting the need for paid family and medical leave here.